Sunday, August 30, 2009

2009 Preseason Top 25



Like many college football fans, I think preseason polls are a bad idea. I just choose to be part of the problem instead of part of the solution. The main difference between my poll and the AP or USA Today poll is that I am willing to make drastic changes early in the season. Other pollsters tend to only make small changes in teams' ranking, as though they don't want to admit they made a mistake. I freely admit my mistakes, because anyone who doesn't think preseason polls are a crapshoot is deceiving themselves. Last year's Preseason Top 25 had 15 teams (60%) that were ranked in my Final Top 25. I also had Florida and Oklahoma first and second in the preseason, and they ended up playing in the BCS National Championship Game. Just please ignore the fact that I had three teams (Auburn, Tennessee, Arizona St) in my poll that didn't even go to a bowl game. Anyway, onto the new poll!


1 - Florida (1)
2 - Oklahoma (5)
3 - Texas (2)
4 - USC (4)
5 - Alabama (6)
6 - Penn St (8)
7 - Mississippi (22)
8 - Oklahoma St (17)
9 - Ohio St (13)
10 - Virginia Tech (15)
11 - TCU (7)
12 - Boise St (9)
13 - LSU (UR)
14 - Georgia (11)
15 - Utah (3)
16 - Florida St (UR)
17 - Iowa (UR)
18 - Oregon (12)
19 - Nebraska (UR)
20 - Cal (UR)
21 - Georgia Tech (19)
22 - West Virginia (UR)
23 - BYU (23)
24 - Texas Tech (10)
25 - Pitt (21)

Ranking from the Final Top 25 in 2008 in parentheses

Others Receiving Votes:
Houston, Illinois, Michigan St, North Carolina, Oregon St

Newcomers (unranked at the end of last year):
LSU, Florida St, Iowa, Nebraska, Cal, West Virginia

Notably Absent (ranked at the end of last year):
Cincinnati, Michigan St, Ball St, Missouri, Tulsa, Oregon St

No comments: